martes, 6 de julio de 2010

Background - why bother?

Quite simply, my mother is a McKinley and knows little as to the origins of her family beyond who her grandparents were. She knew that the family had been in the Kilglass / Easky area ofCounty Sligo (Ireland) for various generations, where they had been tenant farmers; and that she thought they had come directly from Scotland. Some photographs taken by a cousin of family tombstones at Kilglass Church piqued my interest and a few years later I find myself with a couple of notebooks jammed full of McKinleys in New Zealand, in Australia, in America and Canada, in the UK;...and pitifully few still in Sligo.
What to do with all the knowledge gained? The genealogy websites are ferociously complicated and tend to be US centric, so why not a humble blog, tracing my own voyage of discovery?
To tempt the patient reader: the first Governor of Delaware; the first pilot to circumnavigate the globe; various revolutionaries and plain tear-aways; and by dubious footwork, maybe even a President of the USA. And that is just the menfolk. Women get treated miserably in genealogy: for a start they change their name upon marriage and also the mortality rate for young mothers was dreadful; but despite all that there are various matriarchs that shine through (..and more than a few that eloped). And if there are any of you called Elinor, or Eleanor,...you have a straight line back to the time that King Charles fellow had his head chopped off.
So here goes

2 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I am so pleased to find your blog. My McKinley ancestor came to the US around 1820-1826. The repetition of names are Andrew, William, James, John and George. Also one David. They are from the Magheralin area in the county Down, so outside Belfast. I have found 2 Andrew's, one born around 1742 and the other born 1767. After this the records are fuzzy as all grandson's had the same four names, as did their sons. My ancestor was James (son of George, grandson of Andrew) who came through Philadelphia. He followed a cousin with the same name who was already there. My James changed his name to Meginley and ended up in Michigan. Hoping in your research I can learn something about the original Andrew. The family always referred to their heritage as Scotch-Irish. Reading your blog helped me understand that reference. I am interested in continuing to follow your research. Very well done and presented, thank you!

    ResponderEliminar